Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sammay!


Sam,

Part of me is stunned that you're turning 40, and another part of me was under the impression that you turned 40 in 1993. You've always had the temperament and perspective of someone who's been around the block a few times, and you will always have the quads of a 22-year-old, so I trust that you'll land softly on this milestone.

I owe you a lot, old man. Were it not for you, I never would have gotten on a bike. I'd have less of an appreciation for cooking. I'd have no appreciation at all for watching football in the nude. I'd still get from the Richmond to the Mission by going through the Haight, rather than taking Laguna Honda to Clipper. I would have let Nadia move in. Some of those thoughts make me shudder.

I couldn't exaggerate how much our friendship over the last 20 years or so has meant to me, and I'm very psyched for the many great things I know we'll do together between now and our 65ths.

I dug up a bunch of appropriately embarrassing archive photos and had them scanned, but I'm just now realizing that they are PDFs, which I can't seem to upload. So, in an effort not to disappoint, and knowing your taste as I do, I'm attaching a recent photo of Gabe Pressman taken with my cell phone.

Happy Birthday buddy.

XOXO,
Hecker

No comments:

Post a Comment